Tips and Tricks Part One: Nibs and Holders

You may also like...

14 Responses

1. introspectrumv2 says:

Thank you for this article, it’s has so much useful information–I will have to give that cleaning setup by Trish Meyer a try! I agree that Christopher Yoke’s guides for flange adjustment is very useful, as is he when it comes to using oblique holders 🙂 I’ll definitely be bookmarking this article for quick referencing. Can’t wait for part 2!

2. Nancy napier says:

Good tips, thanks

3. raoulpat says:

Alcohol is also good for cleaning a new nib.

4. Ann Cobb says:

Rubbing a new nib with gum arabic removes the protective coating and prepares it for lettering.

5. Janet says:

Very helpful. Thank you!

6. Brisni says:

This helped me so much!!

7. For cleaning sumi inks off nibs, I find a diluted solution of Simple Green cleanser (in most grocery stores) works great. If the ink is fresh, just dip a toothbrush in it & clean off the nib. If the ink is dried on, let the nib soak in it for a while. Nibs will not corrode while sitting for a day.

8. Merl says:

Hi,

Thank you so much for the info but I do have a question, when I store my holders is it advisable to keep the nibs on the holders specially if im using a roller pen case?

• piajennifer says:

Be sure that you take them out and clean them, and if you are traveling at all, I would definitely suggest removing them from the holders. I always take mine out just to be sure they are thoroughly cleaned and dried.

9. Cheryl Zacher says:

Love, love, love your new tip blog! Since I can no longer attend guild meetings, I have to find answers where I can. Nib instruction tips will help me a lot as I constantly have problems with flow. Please keep them coming. It is wonderful of you to give us heads up about new tools. Thank you. ?

1. June 29, 2016