Rotring Isograph is a Hit!

You may also like...

14 Responses

1. Julie Gray says:

I love my Isograph pen. After years of using Koh-I-Nor Rapidographs, I agree with Dan, smart that they can’t be taken apart! These don’t seem to clog as much when not used either, as i put a small drop of water in the lid. keeps tip moist. Highly recommend them!

2. I agree with Dan. The blob at the end of the Rapidograph is majorly annoying and the Isograph doesn’t seem to do it. I’m very pleased with mine as well. Thank you for sharing.

3. I used Rapidiographs for medical illustrations 35 some years ago, in 1977. I was kind of wondering recently where to get Rapidiographs, but the Isograph sounds like a good replacement. Yes, high-maitenance was drawback of Rapidograph, also price.

4. Hmm.. I better like rapidograph than isograph, because it has a cartridge. I’ve some rotring and staedtler but in my opinion, rotring is the best 🙂
    Rotring ink has a deep black color when I compared with another ink (and pen).

5. Beautiful post!
    Can I ask you an infomation?
    Are Isographs suited to draw on normal smooth paper or using on this kind of paper might compromise the nib?
    I recently bought a series of 7 isographs from e-bay, and the seller told me that I can only use the smallest nin (from 0.13 to 0.35) only on vellum paper. Is it true?

6. piajennifer says:

Yes, you can use them on the smooth vellum and regular smooth paper as well.

7. Jessie says:

Hi! I’m doing a custom drawing of FSU (Florida State University) and their colors are garnet and gold. I have been unable to find the right garnet to match their colors in regular pens and was hoping I could give the Isograph a try. Can I use any ink in them? The Private Reserve Fiesta Red ink seems to be close to their color but I’m not sure if the Isograph will work with any ink. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated!

• piajennifer says:

Jessie,
      The Isograph should work with the Private Reserve, but that won’t be a waterproof ink. Also, you wouldn’t want to leave it in your Isograph pen for long periods of time.

8. Max says:

Does the cotton paper 300g/m2 is advisable for Rotring?
    The tip tends to clog?

• piajennifer says:

That paper would likely be very soft. The Rotring has a metal tip, so it may be a little more difficult to use on the paper. If you use an ink with a thin viscosity and clean the pen correctly, the tip should not clog.

9. Sophia Rose says:

Will Metallic inks work in this type of pen? If not, what type of pen did Dan use to achieve is gold work?

• piajennifer says:

I would not suggest metallic inks in the Rotring pens. They would be too thick to flow well and would clog the pens. I suspect Dan actually gilded his piece with patent gold.